This is an amazing coincidence.
I follow a number of web-comics over the decades. One of the things I do to support the artists is buy their stuff. Books of Girl Genius, Schlock Mercenary, A Girl and Her Fed, Order of the Stick and the Whiteboard are haphazardly stored in bins in my basement.
The supply chain disruptions caused by Covid were hard on the publishing world. Especially when you are just a small team trying to publish their series. The Foglios, who had been putting out Girl Genius steadily 3 pages a week, and a Kickstarter for a compendium every year. Had only delivered 1 in 6 years. And you have to understand, the content has already been created. From a layman’s point of view, they only have to just print their work.
Every now and then there would be an update. This printer went out of business, suppliers of paper, couldn’t, and one describing a midnight raid on a warehouse too that wouldn’t ship their books to them. Health issues, which over a period of 6 years, is sadly likely.
I cannot possibly say I understand their pain. I cannot. This is their life blood to get these books out, and the world, nay, the universe is conspiring against their best efforts. I refused to complain, because these artists deserve nothing but praise.
For both Girl Genius and Schlock, their print schedule has been very regular till Covid. Then just one book from the first, and 2 from the second. Then today:
Two Girl Genius’s and the penultimate Schlock Mercenary arrived.
Time to make a soup and sandwich and cozy up on the couch!
Thank you Phil, Kaja, Howard and Sandra!
No comments:
Post a Comment